Posts Filtered by Tag - Winter |
Show Recent Posts
January 29, 2019
By Charis Lindrooth
If I look out my window I see a flurry of white obscuring my view of the sleeping fields. If I close my eyes I see...peas! Summer seems a long way off, but we are already getting organized. The seeding routine starts next week and before you know it the birds will be tittering again, signaling the return of the sun.
The good news is that CSA registration is now open for all sites, except Orwigsburg. See below for a complete list of sites and coupon expiration dates. Remember that to sign up you will now create a new account on Harvie.farm, the platform that will administer the nuts and bolts of the CSA, giving us more time to focus on growing food and writing our blog!
Here's what to do:
- Go to Harvie.farm: use Chrome or Firefox for best results.
- Select your veggie share from the list. We have 3 sizes available: Full, Partial and Solo (formerly called the Eco Share). You will notice a weekly share price by each share and the approximate number of items/week for each share. This year we will be focusing more on value than exact number of items. Basically this means if you choose a lot of low priced items like radishes you will get more items and if you choose a lot of high priced items like gold beets and heirloom tomatoes you will get fewer. Don't worry! We will do a lot more explaining about this.
- Select you add-on shares: Right now to keep it simple we are offering eggs, fruit and cheese shares. Yogurt is on stand by and our bread baker is no longer baking for CSAs (sob!). The new feature here is that you have two options in your fruit share: weekly for 15 weeks or biweekly for 8 weeks.
- Enter coupon code below: this $10 discount only applies to Full or Partial Share orders and expires according to the schedule below.
- Select your delivery site: choose the drop down list and select the site you prefer. If you aren't sure, just choose any site. You can easily change is later if you need to (more on that later!)
- Proceed to checkout: The big new thing here is that you have 2 choices: Pay in full now OR choose the payment plan (25% down now, 25% the first week of the CSA, and then weekly until balance is paid). You can pay via credit card online using the secure Harvie payment center (required for payment plans) OR you can mail a check to the farm and we will apply your payment.
- Having troubles? Go to Harvie Support or watch this really cool video by the Farmer's Wife that shows you the ropes.
Use coupon MYFARM until Feb 12 at the following sites: (for Full and Partial shares only)
- Chestnut Hill
- Mt Airy
- Gulph Mills
Use coupon REDEARTH1ST until Feb 3 at then following sites:
- Queen Village
- West Philly
- West Chester
- Bryn Athyn
- All Lehigh Valley and Berks County sites
December 30, 2017
Happy New 2018!
A Note from the Farmer's Wife
With the temperature in the single digits this morning, the snow is sifting on the farm like confectioner's sugar, a fine powdery descent. The frozen clouds are heavy, squatting on the fields and hillside across the valley. This creates the perfect mood for downtime. The Farmer in his wooly slippers, and I in my fuzzy bathrobe, find it hard to make breakfast before 9 am. For now seed catalogues are tossed aside, allowing for a true break from farm duties.
Later this afternoon the Farmer will venture out to continue his project: forging a walking path through our wooded valley. The time outside and the exercise of whacking multiflora rose, slicing wild grape vines and uprooting autumn olive will refresh him spirits. This morning’s snow will decorate the progress he made yesterday, turning the ordinary woods into a magical kingdom for his princess daughter to explore.
My heart is near to bursting with gratefulness these days. I feel so blessed to live on such an extraordinarily beautiful land, in a snug home with an expansive view of the this precious farm, with a Farmer and family whom I love. As always we look toward the new year with anticipation for the perfect growing season. We wish all of you rest, happiness, and abundant vegetables in the coming year!
December 16, 2017
By Charis Lindrooth
The farm is dressed up for the holidays. Crystals of snow turn ordinary kale into elegant crystalized sculptures. It’s hard to imagine that those frosty fronds will still be quite edible and even delicious, in spite of the cold.
Today marks the end of our 2017 season. The Farmer is shivering a bit at the West Chester Grower’s Market
with the gleanings from the field on his table and the final CSA delivery waiting patiently for pick up in the truck. The peace and quiet on the farm reminds me of a sleeping child - so sweet and such a relief, and yet full of wakeful potential. We would be heartbroken if the farm did not wake with the joyful call of spring. For now though we revel in some time with family…and some time with just the two of us. Snuggled under a pile of quilts we will catch up with movies we have missed during the season, and cuddle, and sleep in! Ah!!
The Farmer also has to place a huge order of farm supplies which come at a 10% discount if we pay for them by check no later than December 31. The only way we can do that is by opening the 2018 CSA registration now
. 60 members by January 1
will ensure savings of several thousand dollars for the farm. We are almost half way to that goal now! Even a partial payment on your registration will help us achieve our goal. Let us know if you need help registering or making payment arrangements.
January 1, 2016
New Year's Savings
A Note from the Farmer's Wife
The stillness of the farm echoes our deep aching need for rest. After a quiet week in beautiful, albeit gray, Sullivan county, we rouse ourselves to return to simple preparatory tasks for the coming season. Many of our loyal, veggie-eating fans, have already signed on for the 2016 CSA, enabling us to order a huge pile of supplies necessary for the startup of the nursery. Before long, tray after tray of potting soil with be filled with seeds and promise for a green and abundant spring.
The truth is, an overly mild winter has kept us harvesting. Since the Holiday Box in December, we have been bringing beautiful greens, carrots and potatoes to West Chester Grower’s Market, and the Farmer will be there on Saturday January 2. Why not stop by and give him some warmth and cheer, and then tootle over to the Brandywine Museum to see the wonderful model train display?
We want to let you know that we have extended the Early Registration discount until January 21. Since we have been so sleepy and incommunicative on our end, we felt that you might need a little more time to be reminded. To receive the discount, simply login to your account (or create a new one, if you are not already a member) select your pick up site, shares and submit payment before the January 21 deadline. The discount is automatically applied during this time period, but expires if payment is not received by the deadline. Your early registration is essential for us to get a leg up on our supplies when winter discounts apply. We are very grateful to all who joined in December; those registrations saved us over $1000 in supply discounts.
Please spread the word in your community. Let people know that Red Earth Farm is the only CSA in the area that offers online ordering…and of course top notch produce. Our customers are our number one source of new members. Drop by our Facebook page and share a post, or tweet, or simply talk it up with your friends.
Wishing you all a healthy, peaceful and bountiful New Year!